Because we indians like everything sweeter and when it comes to the indian sweets, there’s no end game!Sweet Dishes like Rabri, Phirni, etc. are indeed the most important part our lives. Be it a ras bhara rasgulla or the delectable mishti doi, everything works on every occasion . We are so fascinated with the sweet beginnings and endings that we cannot skip sweets even for a single day.
Tons of varieties and tons of variations in each variety is how you can sum up the indian sweets. Also there can’t be a single favourite sweet dish. But talking about the one dish that is loved by almost everyone is the Kheer or Phirni.
Phirni and kheer are almost same while the only difference is that Phirni is made up of grounded rice and kheer is made up of wheat rice. I like phirni more so will be talking about it only.
An authentic indian dessert, made with the richness of milk, creamy enough, essenced with kewra and topped with badam.
So sharing an easy and quick recipe to lighten up your festive evenings or to end your dinner on a sweet note.
TIPS TO REMEMBER:
- While making the paste of almonds and rice, make sure that you add a sufficient amount of water and milk to make it smoother. If the paste won’t be smoother then lumps may form and rice won’t get cooked properly and it will ruin the taste of Phirni.
- Make sure you keep mixing thoroughly or else your phirni will get stick to the vessel or may burn.
- You should use a wider vessel.
- Phirni can be served hot as well as cold, it all depends on your preference.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
So keeping in mind the above tips, let’s begin…
Milk- 4 cups
Rice- 1/3 cup
Sugar- 1 cup
Almonds- 1 cup
(Make sure that you take soaked one cup almonds that is around 3/4 cup of dry almonds.)
( Crushed cardamom will give a better taste. You can use cardamom powder as well.)
Saffron- 1/4 tsp
Kewra essence- 2 tsp
(You can use kewra jal as well.)
- Soak rice for at least 1 hour. Soak almonds for 4-5 hours or overnight.
- Take the soaked almonds and rice and make a fine paste of them by grinding them with water or milk.
- Once a smooth paste is ready, keep it aside.
- Put milk on a gas stove and add cardamom and saffron in it. Let it boil for few minutes.
- When it starts to boil, add sugar to it. Instantly after adding sugar, add the paste of rice and almonds to it and mix thoroughly.
- Cook it on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Now cook it on slow fire for 15 minutes and mix properly. You can exceed the time if it isn’t getting thicker. The phirni should be thick like the custard.
- Once the right amount of thickness is achieved, remove from fire and add a few drops or 2 tsp of kewra essence or kewra jal.
- Now cool it. It will become thicker as soon as it gets cool.
- You can garnish it with almonds, edible rose petals, cherries or nuts as well. Raisins are also good to go.
- The phirni is ready to serve.
So what are you waiting for? Christmas?
Go and treat your homies with this sinful indian dessert. I am sure that it would be loved by all.
Also, festivals are on their way so it’s the perfect time to make this mouth-watering phirni for all your loved ones.
Make this a perfect solution for your sweet tooth cravings.
Liked the recipe? Do comment and let us know if you tried it or not. Also, suggestions will be appreciated. Share it with your friends and family and keep showering your love on us. Serve this Phirni with happiness and rock this Festive Season.
Comment below on what you want us to post next and share your experiences as well.
Keep eating, stay fit, be happy and keep cooking!
Au Revoir! A bientot!
Read a lot about Phirni, let’s try making everyone’s favourite soulful Rabri
. An easy and quick recipe that can be made at the comfort of your home and will be loved by everyone.