Pav Bhaji- A spicy indian street food containing loads of veggies and butter. The dish originated in 1850s as a fast lunchtime dish in Mumbai. Now, the dish has grown up with so much importance that it is served almost everywhere. Not only in Mumbai but in many parts of India and world, Pav Bhaji is almost everyone’s favourite.
Pav Bhaji is the safest option to eat as well. You can have it as the morning breakfast or lunch or even as an evening snack. Be it sunday or a family get together, this is surely a good to go option. Imagine the piles of butter on the flavoursome bhaji served hot with soft pav buns. Feeling exotic? Yes? So, go and give yourself a buttery treat. The good part is that you can make pav bhaji at home and it is really easy to make.
For all those who want to make this delicacy at home, here’s an easy recipe. The recipe won’t require much of your hard work. Also, those who want to give a break to their boring vegetables, this bhaji can be a good to go option.
Without wasting much of your time, let’s begin…
What all will you need?
Basically, Pav Bhaji requires the following items the most. Apart from the vegetable specified, you can use beans or any other vegetable that you want. But you will get an authentic taste from these vegetables only.
- Potatoes: 250 gms
- Carrots ( Finely Chopped): 1 small
- Shelled Peas: 1 cup
- Cauliflower (Finely Chopped): 200-250 gms or 1/2 of a small flower
- Pureed Tomatoes: 350 gms or 4 big
- Onions ( Finely Chopped): 3-4
- Green Chillies( Finely Chopped): 2-4
- Chopped Ginger: 2 tsp
- Butter: 50 gms
- Oil: 4-5 tbsp
- Pav Bhaji Masala: 2 tbsp
- Degi Mirch: 1 tsp
- Chopped Coriander: 1 tbsp
- Salt: Add to taste
How to Proceed:
Making Pav Bhaji is not very difficult but steps should be followed properly. It requires proper attention as well.
- Let’s start with the vegetables. Chop all the vegetables finely.
- Now, take a pressue cooker and add peas, carrot, potatoes, cauliflower, 1/2 cup water and give it 4-5 whistles. Keep it on low flame and cook for 5 more minutes. ( Peas take more time to get boiled so it is advisable to use peas of room temperature.)
- It’s time to make the gravy now. Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and green chillies. Cook till onions become transparent. This is an essential step as the taste will vary if you won’t cook onions properly.
- Add tomatoes and stir for 5-7 minutes. Mash it well.
- Once you have mashed the tomatoes well. Now, add ginger to it and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame. ( Do not add ginger at an early stage. The ginger might stick if added before.)
- In this step, add Pav bhaji masala, Salt and Degi Mirch.
- Mix well. Add the pressure cooked vegetables and potatoes to it. Cook for a few minutes and mash continuously.
- You need to mix well or else it will ruin the taste if not mashed properly.
- You may add water if you want your gravy to be thinner or else thick bhaji is a better option.
- This is the final step. Add butter and chopped coriander. Bhaji is ready to serve. Serve hot. ( Adding more butter will make it more tasty. Health conscious people can avoid adding butter.)
- You can add few drops of lemon as well and serve it with chopped onions.
- Take buns or pavs and cut into halves. Toss them with butter and put on tawa.
- Serve hot pavs with bhajis and have a tasty meal.
No more tantrums of your kids of not eating vegetables. Make this easy Pav bhaji and treat your children with something healthy and tasty. I am sure not only your children but everyone will love it. Serve it to your guests or to your family and enjoy a yummy meal. Plus point is that you can have bhaji with chapatis or breads as well.
Pav Bhaji is not very heavy as well and has a tangy taste so there’s no reason to say no to it. Getting a simple recipe is icing on the cake. So, go and treat yourself with some luscious Pav Bhaji this weekend.
Hope you liked the recipe. Do comment and share your experience. Also, comment below on what you want us to post more. Till then, Tschuss. Stay Tuned.
If you are looking for an italian item to try at home for the weekend, then do check out our Garlic Bread Recipe and tell us how much did you like it.